Friday, January 26, 2007

In Memory of Uncle Ed and Aunt Helen

Today is 52 weeks ago that many of us will remeber for the rest of our lives. I will remeber returning home from work and getting ready for our evening supper and I believe reading the paper when the phone rang. The conversation that took place will be one that I will always remember also, as it was from Calvin letting me know of the tragic accident that had happened just hours before. The news of Uncle Ed and Aunt Helen's auto accident numbed me and the shock of unbelief from Kathy and Beckie will be imprinted with me forever. It did not take long to get over to Uncle Ed's to be with Mary and Cal and begin the task of notifing family. 2006 will forever be a part of our lives we will not forget the loss that took place within our family that year.
"Our family has been so blessed by living in the same city for many years with Uncle Ed and Aunt Helen. We all have learned what caring for others and living by example is by their example to us. As the nephew who lived in the same city I have been able to have the opportunity to worship with Uncle Ed and Aunt Helen on a weekly basis and was always shown encouragement by them both in all the things I do in our Christian life and in the community.. It has been an honour to be with the family at this time. I feel truly blessed by being able to assist in the arrangements of their funerals. God bless all our cousins in their grief."
The family of Helen and Ed Elford are saddened by the deaths of their parents as the result of a traffic accident on Saturday January 28, 2006. They shared many wonderful times together and were inseparable during their 65 years together. They have lived in various communities including, Horse Creek, SK, Willen,MB, Moosomin, SK, and finally to Moose Jaw where they came to be closer to Helen’s parents and their brothers and sisters. They are predeceased by their parents: Laura and Mervyn Goodwin, Russell and Annie Elford, and infant son Larry; Ed’s brothers George and Cliff and his sisters Ruby and Pansy. Ed and Helen are survived by their loving children: Dale (Kathy) – Carman, MB; Lloyd (Ruthanne) – Manson, MB; Sharon (Mandry) – Regina; Calvin (Mary) – Estevan; Neita (Nestor) – Regina; Cheryl (Ian) – Balgonie; and Russell (Melissa) – Edmonton; nineteen grandchildren, twenty-eight great-grandchildren, and one great-great-grandchild. Helen’s immediate family: Evelyn Aasen – Coronach; Muriel Jacobs – Vernon, BC; Gordon (Mildred) Goodwin – Weyburn; and Irene (Cal) Young – Moose Jaw. Ed’s immediate family: Chet – California; Edna (Arnold) Knutson – Glentworth; Eva McCutchen – Portage la Prairie; Ada McBride – Moose Jaw and Melvin (Sandra) Jacobs – Estevan; and many nieces and nephews.

I encourage you to check out the Memorial Page that was set up at the time of their deaths and read the tributes to both of them from their family and friends.
www.wjjonesandson.com (Obituaries on the left, Archive 2006, "E" for Elford.

2 Comments:

At 7:43 PM, Blogger Cal and Irene Young said...

Thanks Lew for sharing the tribute of a very special couple.
Just hard yet sometimes to realize, not so much that they are gone, but HOW.
As your cousin said in an e-mail today, you were right in the middle of it all,and likely did more to make things pleasant for the family than any of us know.
But we are family, and we will always go the extra mile if we can.
Thanks for your posting, I appreciated it as their family will.
Love Mom

 
At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Lew for your tribute today. I'm finding it quite hard today. Harder than I had anticipated. Maybe it's because mom & dad are so... far away on this day. I just want to Thankyou once again for the HUGE roll you played in being there for my parents and helping us all get through it one step at a time. No one can imagine how hard it was for you trying to put a business hat on while grieving as a family member. You are appreciated more than you'll ever know. I too wrote a tribute on my blog @
http://quilliamsfamily.spaces.live.com
Take Care, Crystal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home