Lest We Forget

Today I was invited out to one of our rural schools in Briercrest, Saskatchewan. This is the school that Beckie teaches at and they where having their Remembrance Day celebration today, as there is no school on Friday. They had asked me to be the guest speaker and I was honoured. I must be getting older as I did have a "story" or a part of our family history that I could talk about. As I put my thoughts together I did realize that a time frame of close or over 100 years had taken place. I talked about my Grandma Young as a young girl having her husband leave to serve in WWI and not returning. About her second husband Percy Young (Grandpa) serving in WWI and returning and then marrying grandma, also Grandma's first son uncle Arthur serving in WWII. But most important was the fact that this Remebrance day will be different and "Closer to home" as we do remember the death of my cousins son Cpl. Keith Morley. Keith was serving in Ahfganistan with the Canadian Forces.. he was 3o years old and made the military his work as a professional soldier. You see Keith was one of the soldiers killed in early September this year as a result of a suicide bomber. It does make us truly sensitive to what is happening in our world and makes us realize what our troops are doing. At some point I will post some photos of Keiths funeral and express how proud we need to be of the work our troops are doing to maintain our freedom.
On a happier note... time has crept up on us and on Sunday (Nov 12) Beckie and Kevin's wedding will take place at the Church of Christ, 901 James St. Moose Jaw at 3:00p.m. For some time I have told my kids that it will be nice to have an "empty nest" but as reality comes to be... I will miss picking up after them. Brett has been on his own with his own apartment for over 18 months... now it is our baby that will be in her own home. Next week as the pictures are in place I will bring you up to date on the joys of the day. the weather man sounds like he will co-operate with a high of 5-6 and no snow.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home